It has been a week full of good conversations, frustrations, hard topics, short hours of sleep, and unresolved questions. I simultaneously feel relieved, apathetic, hurt, and energized.
I've had on my mind a theme touched on by Sherman Alexie. It's captured here in a statement about diabetes by a character in one of his books:
"The detective looked at us both. All he knew was criminals and how they worked. He must have figured diabetes worked like a criminal, breaking and entering. But he had it wrong. Diabetes is just like a lover, hurting you from the inside. I was closer to my diabetes than to any of my family or friends...."
There is such capacity to love deeply - and be loved deeply - and also to hurt deeply - and be hurt as deeply by - those you hold the closest. (And your pancreas.)
It is those who are most vital to us that we love so fiercely and sometimes so carelessly.
I raise a glass to lovers and vital organs everywhere, for loving deeply and for keeping our insides functioning.
//LB//
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4
No comments:
Post a Comment