Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Previously disillusioned is a good thing

I am so glad that I worked as a CNA before starting school to become a nurse. (Thank you to all the nurses in my life who suggested that to me!) I had plenty of time to get the hang of personal care and get comfortable with patient interaction, vital signs, changing people's underpants, bathing, and the overall picture of how things work in a patient care setting. Even more than the skills though, I see how being a caregiver affects the details you notice and care for in a patient, small care things that make a mammoth difference in comfort. Instead of my brain being all filled with details of procedures for our first days of clinicals in the hospital, I am relaxed and comfortable and can just focus on orienting myself to the floor and routines. I also think there are a lot of gaps in the nursing education, in any school, unless you have some clinical experience to build on.

I look around me and see a lot of awkward students. I know I look awkward too. But some people have never wiped anybody. Some have no awareness of bedside manner. Basics of bathing another person, feeding a person, reporting to the nurse taking over when you leave. I see many of my colleagues feeling disillusioned, having to wipe butts and smell poop, being in a chaotic environment, being around constant beeping, having to follow so many rules and regulations. I got a dose of reality before I ever became illusioned. I feel like I have an advantage. Mostly, I feel I have an awareness of who I am as a caregiver which is also who I am as a nurse.

I know I have a long way to grow before I fit into my nurse's hat and scrubs. And I know I will always be becoming better and more, but I find myself in the midst of a pool of students and am thankful to have learned what I have learned.

//LB//
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

No comments: