Saturday, July 9, 2011

Had a great 4th of July in King George. The Potomac River. Fireworks are great, especially the huge ones that look like giant weeping willows and linger for a long time. Made me think about my summer in the Philippines. No fireworks then, but on the 4th, we (we being me and my two American friends) got people together and had American food (mostly rice krispy treats and muddy buddies and coke...) and we sang the national anthem for our friends. I'm not especially patriotic - I daresay I'm especially not-patriot - but it was fun to sing it for them, the three of us in harmony. I miss my dear Filipina friend and have been thinking about her and my other filipino friends a lot lately.

Tuesday, I worked with a patient who talked with me about his IV drug use, decades of drug addiction, attempts to OD, and desire to commit suicide.

Had a busy week of studying (patho, mostly) and have been mainly focused on schoolwork, but my hot bf got to come out for Friday evening. We went to the Dizz with some crazy girls, got ice cream, then walked home through the park. We ended up talking with Tom about his father's Alzheimers, assisted suicide, Jesus, autopsies, and movie stars. After I read his father's obituary out loud, we moved his vodka bottles, beer can, and newspaper out of the way and sat down on the bench with him. Stayed for at least an hour talking like old friends, fireflies all around, breeze in the trees, clouds crying softly. I hope Tom will be okay.

//LB//

No comments: