When I was in 6th or 7th grade, I wrote a series of comics centered around the heroine Laundry Girl. They were pretty crazy. You know... Laundry Girl faces the wicked tyrant Wiggamafleeze as he tries to turn everything into caramel-- she saves the world by throwing dirty socks at him. In another episode of the comic, Laundry Girl defeats WishWash, an enraged, out-of-control washing machine, by dousing him with laundry detergent at just the right time. The comics were pretty ridiculous (although I must admit, L.G. had a pretty sweet purple silk cape).
Despite the sillyness of the stories, sometimes I wish my life was more like Laundry Girl's. Why isn't my life more heroic? Have I ever done anything that "saved the day?" I don't think so.
I wonder if I've been lacking in courage or in opportunity.
I certainly don't want to be a famous superhero who's known and revered by all; that would be quite uncomfortable, and I'm far too klutzy for that. In looking at my life, I see that I have done very little that ever helped anybody other than myself. And at times in my life now I find myself descending into this mundane pit of selfishness where I don't even want to do anything otherwise. I have a feeling I've missed more than one opportunity to be a "hero" because I've been too focused on myself.
Someone recently asked me if I'd found my purpose in life. I told them that I had; but to tell you the truth, I had forgotten that. How could I have forgotten why I am living? It's not about me - it's about something bigger. It's about Christ! It's about the true freedom, forgiveness, rest, and full life that He offers. I'm not alive to be seeking my own good, but the good of those around me. I'm where I am today to live a life of love.
Now, this is nothing heroic. But it is something big. It is life, life to the fullest.
2 comments:
Lauren i love you. and i think you have done heroic things. even small things that don't seem like much to you could be very heroic to other people. your definitly one of my heroes. and i'm pretty sure life would suck a lot more if you were around. and i think metaphorically speaking you could definitly be my laundry girl. love celeste
Lauren, I wish that capes and spandex were all it would take to make me as strong and epic and fearless as your Laundry Girl. Although I am not familiar with the adventures of Laundry Girl, she sounds awful similar to my imagination so often. Thanks for writing, you make me think. Jesus is epic. Oh, this is Holly by the way.
Post a Comment